Wednesday, July 28, 2021

From Disappointment to Something Better

 Last week I left y'all with the mostly finished garage conversion. It was wonderful to get the room done except for two items: the storage closet and a dining room light. Here's where I left off - a nice living/dining room space but no place for the Christmas boxes.











What can I say? I like decorating for Christmas.















But before I get into storage for all those boxes (it's not all Christmas stuff; Bruce has his own pile of things too), I need  to show what we ended up with for a dining area light. (I know, I know. I promised to show you the closets but this was the next project in finishing the room).

I wanted something with character and farmhouse flare. I even found a light fixture I liked at Home Depot. Since the nearest one is about an hour away, I checked online to make sure it was in stock and it said they had it. It looked similar to this:













Cool, right? A bit of industrial with farmhouse. Well, we get there and they don't have it in stock! I am so disappointed...they don't have another one I like enough to pay over $200 for and I don't want to wait for one to ship. I want this project finished! That's when Bruce speaks up, "You know those Edison bulb pendants on the way in? If we had a rustic board, we could get three or four of them and I could make a light."

I'm like, hmmmm. I think I saw a board in the barn that would work. 

We walk back to the front of the store to look at the pendants. Yes. Those should work so we grab three of them. Here's what we got:













Back home, I head up to the barn. Bruce suggested the old fireplace mantel but when I looked at it, it didn't have the look I wanted. (Can I just be honest and say it was ugly?) I knew I'd seen a thick, chunky board somewhere. And sure enough! I found it! Triumphantly I carried it back to the house. 















It was even the right length! Bruce got to work drilling the holes and placing the pendant lights. 

Perfect patina!
























Bruce hanging the light


























It works!


Close up











I am so thrilled with it! I got something even better than the store-bought light - a one of a kind, unique light with the perfect mix of farmhouse rustic with industrial vibe at a fraction of the cost.

Here's what it looks like in the finished room. Do you see my photobombers?  













One more project down in the new living/dining room! I'm so thankful for my handy husband. Oh, the closet, you ask? It took us a year to get around to them but you'll get to see them a lot sooner than that! Until next time,

Cecilia


4 comments:

  1. Oh my, Cecilia! Was I pleasantly surprised to see the B Farm in my current blog list - I had to do a double take to make sure what I was reading! So glad to see you here - and I've really missed you! Your pendant light looks amazing and perfect for your dining area! And I love the look of your new living and dining space! You and hubby are really doing an awesome remodeling job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Cecilia! Was I pleasantly surprised to see the B Farm in my current blog list - I had to do a double take to make sure what I was reading! So glad to see you here - and I've really missed you! Your pendant light looks amazing and perfect for your dining area! And I love the look of your new living and dining space! You and hubby are really doing an awesome remodeling job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! That turned out great and he did a wonderful job putting it together. I am tickled to see a post from you! Whooo Hoooo...keep it up! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecilia I like your light that Bruce made better. It has more farmhouse character. Yeah for the one not being in stock. Now you have a better one that Bruce was able to make. I cannot wait to see your closets. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...