Skip to main content


Part Three - Living Room Refresh

Welcome to part three of the living room refresh. You've seen the mood board, the rug and pillows, and today I want to share the curtains, roman shade and lampshades.

I originally used patterned tablecloths for the curtains. They had a white background with birds and vines with red flowers on them. I used clips to hang them up. Here's a picture of them from long ago.

However, I recently decided to go neutral so I bought curtains in a taupe color. I really didn't like them in this room. They were too blah for my liking. So when KariAnne suggested a small floral print, my mind went instantly back to the tablecloths. They would be perfect except for one thing - they were going to be too short. 
You see, she also suggested I raise the rod up as high as I could which meant the tablecloths would be 6" too short. What to do? Well, one of the pillow fabrics matched the red in the cloths perfectly. I cut and sewed a piece to each top of the curtains then clipped them in place.…
Recent posts

Week Two of the Living Room Refresh

Welcome to Week Two of my living room refresh. Last time, I shared how the living room looked before and the plan.  Today I'll be sharing all about the rug and pillows.

One of my very favorite colors is red. It's warm; it's exciting; it's my happy color.

In my living room refresh, KariAnne suggested using it for my main accent color (I'd tried to go neutral and it just wasn't working for me). Here's the mood board again to remind you of where I want to go with the room.

She found several rugs for me to consider over at As I was looking at them, I saw a different one. Ooo! The pattern on it was very subtle (which I really liked) and it still had all the colors (red, blue, gold, and sage green) I needed to pull the room elements together. Another bonus: it was on sale! So I ordered it!

It came just in time for it to go with us to the farm over the weekend. I love it! The color and pattern are just right. (Hm, I need to pull it out just a bit so…

Week One: Living Room Refresh

Once upon a time, we bought a farm with a small ranch-style house. It needed cleaning and paint and some updating - which we've been steadily doing for the past 6 years, getting it ready for the some day move there full-time day. In the meantime, we enjoy getting away on weekends and occasionally a week at a time.

 One space I've struggled with is the living room - it's tiny...11x14' tiny... with a huge angled fireplace that eats up lots of space.

I call it cozy and I've done my best using second hand finds to make it comfortable BUT the decor has never felt quite right. I rearranged the furniture several times and finally hit upon what I feel was the best layout.

And yet it still felt off. So I enlisted the help of my friend KariAnne of Thistlewood Farms. She's brilliant. We talked and discussed my likes and all and she came up with a wonderful plan.

Use red. Lots of it. With wood accents. And a bigger rug. With a touch of blue. Here's the mood board she p…

Scotland - Part 3

So here we are on the last 4 days of our Scotland Trip. It was fabulous, breathtaking, and beauty-filled. A really wonderful trip.
Once again, I have lots and lots of pictures so please enjoy!

 Leaving Oban, we headed up toward Inverness which was our next stop. We were headed into the mountains and of course, it was raining on and off. One of the first things we saw was this small castle - Castle Stalker. You can read about it here:

We found a spot to take pictures of it. Then we jumped back in the car and headed on. We passed through lots of pretty scenery...somehow I didn't get a picture of the mountains with snow still on them. They were so pretty shining in the sometimes sun. We got stuck in a slow moving line of traffic...finally passed 3 semis with windmill parts on them after they pulled over to let everyone pass. I'm not sure how they fit on the narrow 2 lane road. I sure wouldn't have wanted to meet them!

We stopped for gas and I…