Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Studio Reveal

 Last week, I showed you the wall we put up in the studio to make a more permanent storage area. In case you missed it, you can read about it here. It turned out great.

Today, I'm going to show you how it all came together plus an easy project to update my tired and faded fabric bins. Come on in!

After the wall was finished, I had this nice empty area for storage:


The metal shelf unit Bruce made me went on the back wall, then easels, panels, and other supplies went next to the turquoise wall. 



Eventually, I may put a curtain across it, but most is hidden from my view when I'm sitting at my work table.

One of the things I did was move my bookshelf around from the back wall to in front of the dividing wall so I have my reference and art books close by. I had several fabric bins to hold various supplies. They had definitely seen brighter days - so faded and worn looking now.


As I pondered what to do with them, I decided to just try and paint over them with acrylic and leftover wall paint. I grabbed my Liquitex Acrylic in Prism Violet and started painting one:


I then painted the handle and trim in Americana acrylic in Irish Moss. I was pleased with it, so painted one more that color combo.


Three were painted with the turquoise wall paint and the handle and trim in Liquitex Prism Violet:



The two that were green still looked good so I just painted the handle and trim with turquoise paint.


I didn't add any fabric medium to the paint but did brush watered down paint on the fabric first before adding a heavier coat. It helped it to go on and cover.

I love how they turned out!



After that, it was just putting the rest of the studio back together. Two of my trusty studio assistants helped.

My work table area is all clean too!


I love how my wall looks on the work side too! The grey showcases the art nicely. My small drafting table is in the corner next to my shelf with my books and supplies:


Here's a wider shot of the painting area - this is opposite of my work table area:

And this is the front with my beautiful windows. 

I hope you enjoyed seeing my studio update. Let me know what you think! Would you have tried to paint the fabric bins? I honestly had nothing to lose so I went for it!

See you Friday for "On The Artist's Doorstep". Until then have a great week!

Cecilia






4 comments:

  1. What a great place to let your creative heart sour. Love your little assistants. What a great idea to paint the bins. It all looks so great. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I know you are happy to be able to finally get things organized and not be fully out in the open. Bet you can't wait for the weather to be nice so can throw open that front door. I love that front view. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome work space you have. Everything looks wonderful. I love that green painted dresser. So neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The dresser was a fun project a couple of years ago.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...