Friday, January 21, 2022

On The Artist's Doorstep #6: Productive Procrastination

Procrastination: (noun) the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying.

I'm still in a mode of "resting" although it might look more like procrastination to some. Come to think of it, I believe a lot of artists are good at procrastinating I know I am and I've always felt guilty about it. However, as I've read through "Steal Like An Artist" by Austin Kleon, I came to the chapter called "Practice Productive Procrastination". 

He said, "Take time to mess around. Get lost. Wander. You never know where it's going to lead you."

Scotland railroad bridge -somewhere I'd like to go again

What? Permission to not be busy but to play? To stare out the window, take a walk, scroll through Pinterest? 


I need those times to just be and let my mind wander. It's  a "refilling of my creative well" that helps me increase my creativity, find new ideas, and make the desire to create strong again. 


So that's what I'm calling it - productive procrastination. Therefore, you will find me for now in the studio, not creating, but letting my mind wander while I do the mundane tasks of cleaning, organizing, and decluttering.

3 comments:

  1. I love the term productive procrastination. It is a perfect 'excuse' for me. lol. My mind has been wandering a while, too, and I am not getting things done like I should be doing.
    Happy weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, right? Seriously though, sometimes we need to allow space to breathe. After the busy holiday time, I am recharging my batteries. Enjoy your weekend too!
      Hugs

      Delete
  2. Love "productive procrastination"!!!! I think we all need this but can see where you creative artist would need this to revive your creativeness. Have a great weekend. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...