Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Part Three - Living Room Refresh

Welcome to part three of the living room refresh. You've seen the mood board, the rug and pillows, and today I want to share the curtains, roman shade and lampshades.

I originally used patterned tablecloths for the curtains. They had a white background with birds and vines with red flowers on them. I used clips to hang them up. Here's a picture of them from long ago.

However, I recently decided to go neutral so I bought curtains in a taupe color. I really didn't like them in this room. They were too blah for my liking. So when KariAnne suggested a small floral print, my mind went instantly back to the tablecloths. They would be perfect except for one thing - they were going to be too short. 

You see, she also suggested I raise the rod up as high as I could which meant the tablecloths would be 6" too short. What to do? Well, one of the pillow fabrics matched the red in the cloths perfectly. I cut and sewed a piece to each top of the curtains then clipped them in place. Perfect! I think they look great!

Next, it was time to work on the roman shade. I won't go into detail how I made it; there are plenty of tutorials online on how to turn a miniblind into a roman shade. I used red ticking fabric to make mine. It took a couple of days of sewing, prepping the blinds, and gluing the fabric on. After letting the glue dry overnight, I hung it up and wow! It really adds to the whole look. I won't say this turned out perfectly - I already had one slat break (they are metal and old so apparently brittle). I will eventually have do it over but for now this works. I really love the way it looks. Bye-bye miniblind!


Lastly, I covered my lampshades. For the bare metal frame one, I tore the remaining fabric pieces into strips, then hot glued them onto the back of the lampshade rims. It coordinates with the other pieces in the room and adds that touch of color in the corner.

Lastly, I took a small lamp I had, painted the base red and covered the too white shade with the red ticking. The cool thing? The Eiffel Tower shines through the fabric when the lamp is lit!
It adds some red over in the entryway area too.

Next week, I'll share what we did with the "beast" aka shelf entertainment unit and show you how the room looks. You're gonna love it!

6 comments:

  1. Cecilia I love that you added the material to the top of the tablecloths to get the height. I love the pattern of the tablecloth for you drapes. Sometimes tablecloths have the prettiest patterns and no sewing required. That is a must for me. Loving this room and how it is coming together for you. Also love the lampshades. You go girl!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hang my curtains higher like this too. These are perfect, Cecilia! I love how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that roman shade! I've always wanted to make one but chickened out many times:) Love those curtains as well. the less sewing, the better! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, it's not hard to do just time consuming. It was really frustrating to have one of the slats break. They are glued down pretty good so it's not going to be an easy fix. Oh well. Fortunately, it is on the side and the curtain hides it. It doesn't affect how it goes up and down. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. You’ve been so busy haven’t you? It’s all been worth it because everything looks so pretty Cecelia. I always say for every problem there’s a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you are doing. The Roman shade is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...