Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Farmhouse Living Room Reveal

Happily, with some easy upgrades, the living room is done. We still need to tackle the fireplace but at least we have a plan - it's just finding the right time to do it. With hay that needs to be cut and baled, bees that need care among other things, it might not happen until Fall. But that's ok. We will get there.

In the meantime, I want to share how just some simple decor changes really made the room feel completed and cozy. Here's what we started with:
Not awful just kind of blah and empty feeling.

Then KariAnne gave me a great plan:
I liked the touch of blue in the rug but I needed something with some green in it too so it tied into the side table that was painted a sage green ( you can see that in the before photo at the end of the sofa). I liked it and didn't want to repaint it. So I looked at the different options KariAnne suggested but while I was browsing I saw one on sale and I thought it was perfect:
I ordered it (from Overstock.com) and absolutely love it! It is 8x10 which almost completely covers the floor (the living room is pretty small).

I took her suggestions for fabrics and found the perfect solution for the curtains, pillows, and lampshades - I used the red ticking for the Roman shade and one lamp shade, found a red and green plaid for pillows, and a red tone on tone for other pillows. I even had some red floral pillows stored in a closet in the city house I was able to reuse. The plaid and red tone on tone were also used on the bare lampshade to really tie in the colors.

lampshade not quite finished
there! all done

Oo la la


The red tone on tone also became the topper of my curtain panels to make them long enough for the moved-up curtain rod:

KariAnne suggested I add a wooden lamp to pull in more wood elements. I actually had one in the bedroom that was painted a greenish-blue. It ties in great with the rug:
I think the lampshade might need a little dressing up. To pull in the wood elements, I placed this little drop-leaf table in front of the window. I bought this table many, many years ago, stripped off the yellow paint and just stained it.

The entryway area also got some love - I put the table the tv used to sit on back on that wall, added the old door at one end to balance the window on the other side, and then added some red elements here and there. I forgot to take a picture of the small lamp with the red striped shade on the table.  (oops!) That adds in some more red.


The red boots in the old milk crate just make me smile. I paid more for them than I normally would have, but they were worth it.

The "beast" or shelf entertainment unit I had in my art room in the city, got a makeover as well. I'd tried to seal the smell in (it reeked of cigarette smoke) but only partially succeeded - occasionally it would send out a not so pleasant smell.

I had Bruce take off the old back (it had holes in it anyway) and that got rid of a lot of the smell. He then cut the center divider out so the tv would fit in the middle spot. Then we put new beadboard on the back - painted it red - then also painted the edges red, sealing the whole thing with polyurethane. No more stink! Ready for how it looks now? Oh good! I want you to see it in all it's new glory!

Doesn't it look great? I love how it gives that wall presence - the fireplace kind of fades into the background now instead of being the center of attention. I bought some baskets to put in some of the cubbies. Well, huh. Someone who shall remain nameless forgot to take a picture after she put the baskets in the entertainment unit and styled the shelves. (cough, cough. I'm sensing a pattern here.)

Finally! The reveal! Drum roll please! Ta da!

 I am actually going to hang some of my own artwork on the wall next to the shelf unit so I owe you all another living room picture after I add them!

I absolutely love the room now. As much as I admire those with neutrals in their homes, I learned the look just isn't me. As an artist, I love color so I need it  - it makes my heart happy. The lesson I learned? Be true to who you are. If you like neutrals - go for it. But if color makes you happy then  you should use it.

I hope you enjoyed my living room refresh! I'll be sure to have a picture of the entertainment unit with the baskets, artwork on the walls and the red lamp on the entryway table soon.

*Want to know what colors I used?
The walls are Behr Ivory Palace, trim Benjamin Moore Simply White.  The entertainment unit is Behr's Apple Polish - it's such a happy red! Not too dark, but not too pinkish either. The end table I  didn't want to repaint is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Chateau Grey but it is really a soft sage-y green.

10 comments:

  1. Cecilia, I love your refresh. The entryway is so fun, too. Great job--I'm sure it feels so good to have it done. I can't wait to see your fireplace, next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - love all the fabrics! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room turned out great! Isn't it fun when a project like this turns out so perfectly? Enjoy it now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecilia, it all looks homey and cozy! love the way the Beast turned out ! You're so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Cecilia! I LOVE the wall behind the love seat. So pretty. I totally agree that you have to have your own style. I tried so many times to "like" stuff that was popular at the time but would always end up dissatisfied and changing it in the end. It really saves time and effort and money LOL to stay true to yourself and have a home that you enjoy "living" in! I remember telling my husband I like it but I don't love it...when it came to some of my decisions. He is so patient with me.
    I'm so happy for you that you found your style and that you love it! and the beast is beautiful too. I love red and hopefully I can figure out how to make it work in my very neutral home. Pillows and lamps etc. are a good place to use color. You go girl! Getting it done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the progress! I can't wait to see your own art on the walls and those baskets on the cabinet shelves. So glad you are happier now with your color! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. Will be sharing those things in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  7. Looks great Cecilia. I love all the cute decor in the entry way. Love the little red boots too. You have made this space very cozy and warm. Love it all. Love love love the old door in the entry way. You know me and vintage doors. Especially love that touch in your entry. Have a good rest of the week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Cecilia, the living room looks fantastic... You must be thrilled with your handiwork... I love the warm colours you've chosen...it makes the whole room look cosy and inviting!
    Send hugs and love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Cecilia ... happy colors and so inviting. Great job.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...