Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Christmas Memories


I love Christmas! It is such a special time of year where we make memories for our families. Thanks to Patience Brewster, who happens to be one of my favorite artists,  I was inspired to take a walk down memory lane and share some of my favorite holiday memories. Patience Brewster is an artist and designer of Christmas ornaments. They are absolutely adorable!

My twin sis and I 

When we were young, we would ask our parents how early we could get up and Mom and Dad would give us a time.


Of course, we always woke up way before the designated time, so we would all pile into one bedroom and excitedly "whisper" among ourselves, waking the entire household. 

Then at the set upon time, we would wake our parents (lol), Mom would go turn on the Christmas tree lights,  Dad would wake the older siblings and get the camera, then when everyone was assembled, we were allowed to go to the tree. 


Oh, the excitement and wonder of that first glimpse of the tree! It was so magical.


When we had children, we carried on the same tradition. They would ask what time they could get up and we would hear them "whispering" excitedly in one of their rooms until the official time. Then I'd turn on the tree's lights while Bruce got the camera.


I wonder if they will carry the tradition on. It makes me smile to think of someday grandchildren, then great-grandchildren, and so on, waking up early, excited for Christmas morning. :-)



How I treasure those memories especially now that my parents and oldest brother are gone and my children grown.

The six of us - Christmas photo
I'm the one on the left - bottom row
Thank you, Patience Brewster , for inspiring me to take this walk down Memory Lane. I'm reminded of how special family traditions are.

What are your favorite memories/traditions of Christmas?


14 comments:

  1. Christmas started with watching marionettes on a TV not unlike yours in the photo. There would be the Nativity story first followed by The Night Before Christmas and we'd be watching them until Daddy, who'd have spent the evening finishing barn chores before cleaning up, would be ready to go to church. The children's Christmas program was first with a stage up near the altar for our recitations and songs. Then the candlelight service and afterward we'd go home with small ornaments and/or a very small box of store-bought chocolates. I still have one of the plastic ornaments. In the morning we weren't allowed to go into the living room until Daddy was done with milking and had eaten breakfast. Then we'd rush into the room and my bigger siblings would hand out the presents, usually new p.j.'s and hand made doll clothes for me. Afterward would follow Christmas dinner with my ancient relatives seated around the table with us. Thanks for asking us to remember. It's nice to go back in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and the trip down your own memory lane.
      hugs

      Delete
  2. Awwww..... I loved walking down memory lane with you! I have similar memories growing up. My kids decorated the tree last night and I took photos... I'm glad I remembered to do that, I'm bad about taking pictures when I'm caught up in the moment of doing things. Very sweet post Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have enough pictures of my kids decorating the tree either! I'm bad about remembering the camera but getting better! LOL, that makes me laugh thinking about us groaning about our grandparents and parents insisting on photos. Now I understand! Thank you, Sherry!

      Delete
  3. So sweet walking down memory lane with you. So many of the things you mentioned reminded me of my childhood Christmases. Love all the photos. I wish I had been better about taking pictures of the little things when my kids were growing up. Seems like I was always too caught up in what I was doing and now I regret it. I have plenty of Christmas morning pix, but I don't know if I ever took one of them decorating the tree. I will have to remember to do that with my future grandchildren. Have a blessed evening!

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! Seems we got plenty of pictures on Christmas morning but not the decorating it stage. Oh well. I'll just have to do better. Have a great rest of the week.
      Hugs
      Cecilia

      Delete
  4. I so remember those days of getting up early but then my dad was always up early....I think he loved to see us kids peek around the corner.... My son was always a sleep in kind of guy....my hubby and I had to wake him up!...I enjoyed your photos so much!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Shirley! Hope you are having a good week!

      Delete
  5. The photos of you and your siblings on Christmas are priceless Cecilia! You were so cute :).

    Taking pictures can be tricky. On the one hand it's wonderful to preserve the memories, on the other you don't want to spoil the moment because you're too preoccupied. I strive for a happy medium, but fall short sometimes.

    I remember our house smelling on Christmas Eve, since my mother would make the '7 fishes', which as you may know is a typical Italian tradition. I remember that we never had a real tree, but a fake white one with blue balls. I crack up just saying that! Lol

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Doreen, I've never heard of the '7 fishes' tradition. So tell me about it!
      haha, you're so funny...we always went and cut a cedar tree from my uncle's place. It was fun.

      Delete
  6. What great photos & memories! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...