Monday, February 27, 2017

Refreshing the Laundry Room in the City House

Have you ever walked through a room in your house and all of the sudden get hit with the knowledge it's well, awful? That happened to me this past week. I usually come into the city house through the laundry room as it is the pass through from the garage to the house. Just a warning - these aren't pretty staged photos...they're real life.

Here's some before pics:
door goes to garage
cat food on top of the dryer...keeps the dogs out of it :o)
opposite the washer and dryer, shelves for storage with a curtain to hide it

I see it so often (going out to my car, doing laundry), I've become "blind" to its flaws.

That is until last week. Something finally clicked and I saw how shabby it had become. Yikes. Time to make a plan and give this space a makeover.

First thing I did was take a look on how the space was used. Here's the list I came up with:
1. My major way in and out of the house - it would be nice to utilize the space with that in mind.
2. Obviously laundry
3. It's where the cat litter box is kept
4. Storage shelves

Here's a diagram of the space:

The niche where the freezer is supposed to go (we have always had it in the garage) has been used for all sorts of things: it was our Office in a Hole (the name our children gave it) when we needed an office spot, it was a crafting area, a sewing area, and finally it's where the litter box is. There are shelves above for storage.

It just wasn't working for me anymore. It was cluttered and dirty (I swear I clean in there but it certainly didn't look like it. Gross).
Niche area - I'd already started clearing it when I realized I hadn't
taken a picture. There were 3 shelves all a full as the one shown.

Here's the plan I came up with:
First, find a cabinet or bench the litter box would fit in/under to hide it from view. Secondly, go through everything and get rid of the excess. And third,  provide some kind of hook or shelf to put my purse and keys on. Perhaps like this old window only with the shelf at the bottom.
source
Ok, now that I gave a plan, I can start. First up is to find something for the litter box. I was in IKEA and came across their Trofast.

Hm, it was just the right size and will work as a bench too. I figured I didn't have to use the middle pieces. I grabbed one and came home with it.

I took the curtain down I used to hide the litter box and shelves and pulled all the stuff out.

Of course in doing that I noticed how scratched up the walls were. (Thought process....I think I need to paint...do I really want to paint?...yes, it needs it... I don't want to buy paint...surely I have enough already?)  I found a gallon of the living room color and about 3/4 gallon from the master bathroom closet redo a couple of years back. Ok, those will work!

So much for an easy refresh. The whole laundry room is getting a fresh coat of paint and I have stuff to go through and get rid of. I'll be working on it the next week or so. In the meantime, the breakfast room window seats are full of junk useful items.

And in case you're wondering about the gallery wall, I have a couple of minor things to take care of (while paint dries, perhaps?) and then I'll be able to share it.

I've always said I have decorating ADD and I think this proves it...I can't finish one project before I jump into another. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!



6 comments:

  1. Good Morning,
    It is so true that one thing leads to another! I cannot wait to see after you paint and do up better storage etc for yourself in the laundry area. Hey laundry like death and taxes happens so the space might as well be pretty and organized!!!! Good luck I cannot wait to see what you do with this space.
    Have a good start to the week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecilia,
    Wow! You are taking on some big projects and I really respect your can-do attitude!
    I have been organizing my craft closet and boy it sure feels good.
    Looking forward to seeing what your finished space looks like-you go girl!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've been focusing your efforts on the farm, so it's natural for things in the city house to go by the wayside. Your heart is at the farm. :).

    You've got some great ideas Cecilia!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a big job but I'm sure it'll be beautiful and work efficiently when you are done!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...you're definitely not the only one with decorating ADD. LOL! I have it bad too! I can't wait to see what you do in the laundry room. I have managed to keep my clean and organized since redoing it nearly 2 years ago. My numbered basket system works great. Have fun painting, organizing, and decorating!

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it will be charming when you get through with it. Anxious to see. My laundry room needs to be uncluttered. I have a lot of my wooden collections on the cabinet in there. I enjoy seeing them as that is where we enter the house from the garage ... but less may be better. Maybe someday.
    Blessings to you Cecilia.
    Hugs,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...