Friday, May 12, 2017

Creative Friday #11: Dog Art On A Cart

I've been behind on my Creative Friday posts...been doing a lot but nothing worth blogging about. Today, however, I have a makeover for you I think you'll like!

Once upon a time (last year), I found a metal tiered cart at Canton Trade Days. I paid $12 for it which was a bargain considering most I've found have been $35 and up. It had been painted an ugly mustard yellow color and they painted over the rust plus the chrome legs. (Can you say a bad paint job?)

It's been sitting in the garage waiting to be made over - last year we had a very rainy and cool spring (every time I wanted to work on it, it rained) and summer was too hot. Then other projects took over and it languished.

Finally, I pulled it out this past weekend so I could work on it. I sanded it to get rid of the raised areas caused by rust, flipped it over and sanded the underside, then I took paint stripper and slathered it on. Yuck -  stinky, gloopy mess. But the mustard yellow is gone.



I used aluminum foil and vinegar to tackle the rust on the legs - the rust was pretty bad as you can see.
It took a lot off although I wasn't able to get rid of all the rust stains. 

And amazingly the red factory finish didn't come off. It's a bit faded and distressed with pocking from the rust but I like it so I'm not going to repaint it and make it shiny and new looking. 

That done, it was time to give it some (more) character. I wanted a cute graphic so using a graphic dog advertisement I saw on Pinterest,
source
and my dogs as models I came up with my own take of a dog ad.
"Good boy, Buddy!"

"Look up here, Herbie"
A quick sketch gives me my image for the dog ad:

Using carbon paper, I traced the words and image onto the cart


traced the lines with a black paint pen,

and started painting. Here it's close to being finished- just need to add details:

 After the paint dried, I went back to add details. Where the paint looks more black, it is actually still wet.

After it was dry, I added a clear coat of spray paint on all parts.


I'll be taking it to the farm this week to use out on the porch. I love the faded look of the red paint with the distressed areas - then there's the border collie/hot dog art.
Too cute!

Buddy and Herbie approve!

"Now, where's our hot dog?"

I'm sharing here:
Vintage Charm Party
Coastal Charm Show and Share
Make It Pretty Monday
Talk of the Town

14 comments:

  1. Really cute! Now you need to have a hot dog roast! How did you get Buddy to hold the biscuit like that ? (patty) soriano471@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I had to teach him "leave it" first by holding a treat in my hand and not letting him have it until I told him "ok". Then it was just a matter of getting him to leave it on his nose. He really likes to please so will do just about anything if I'm patient enough to keep after it.
      Weenie roast coming up this week! :)

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome re love of this cart. Love it. Herbie and Buddy need a big hot dog for being such good models. Happy Friday. Happy Mom's weekend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, Buddy & Herbie are just the cutest! & love your artistic new version of the cart, it's so creative. Hope the doggies got their well deserved hot dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented, Cecilia! Love it all including your adorable models! Have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Cecilia! It is fantabulous! You are such a talented artist. I can't even draw stick figures:) Your dogs are absolutely adorable. The cart is just about 1,000 times better now. It's the perfect project for Vintage Charm! Hope to see you there! xo Kathleen| Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! I'm planning on joining the party. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Love this! Your hard work paid off because it's adorable!
    My folks had a cart just like this that they put their giant 70's microwave on. And guess what - it was mustard yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's great. This one was originally red which suits me so much better! 😊

      Delete
  7. Cecilia, I'm not sure how I missed this, but it is just adorable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone is just loving this, Cecilia! I'll be featuring you tomorrow at Vintage Charm Party #83! Congrats, and thanks so much for linking up! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...