Thursday, June 11, 2015

Painting the Dining Room Chairs

My week long stay at the farm was very productive. I cleaned the closets (if you missed it, you can read about that here),
and I painted all my dining room chairs. I had always meant to; they were all mismatched with nothing in common except they were cheap! Somehow, I never got around to it but all the different looks kept bugging me. Anyway, it was way past time to paint them!

yellowish chair, rush-seat chair, golden oak chair
 First I started with my bench. I was just learning about painting furniture and it didn't quite turn out right. Time to redo it!

I mixed up my recipe for chalky paint (2 Tbls sanded grout with all the lumps mashed out mixed with 2 Tbls water, then added to 1 cup of paint. Mix well) and started painting. This recipe covers well and goes a long way. Plus it's a good way to use up those sample cans or leftover paint!

Finished the bench then moved on to the yellow chair. Yay! No more dirty-looking, yellowish chair!
Left the dings along the edges though
Painted the golden oak, pressed back chair next (had to mix a seconded batch of paint), followed by the rush seat chair.

Nice! Hm, they still needed something so I lightly dry brushed them with some white.

 Then it was time to wax them. Wouldn't you know, I left my dark wax at the city house! Now what?!?
Mixed wax with glazing medium
Hm, I remember reading you could mix paint and wax together. I found my glazing medium and mixed into the clear wax. It worked perfectly! Really brought out the details and softened the color nicely!
Notice the left side with wax - really softens the look
Isn't the pressed backed chair beautiful? All those details really show.

Loving how they turned out. They look more cohesive now.


I took the two large burlap wrapped pillows and gave them new covers. I used the printed burlap on one side and a French-themed duck fabric for the other. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of them. Take my word for it, the fabric really goes well with the chairs' color. I'll show you next time - I promise!!

Hurray! One more thing checked off the list! Next up is the back porch refresh. Here's what I'm starting with:

I'll share that next week along with how my first two painting parties go. Super excited about them.

Until next time!

Cecilia

Partying here: The Dedicated House- Make It Pretty Monday

19 comments:

  1. The chairs are great...I love the look of different style of chairs that truly feel like they belong together...
    Great job Cecilia...Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley! They feel like they finally belong together.

      Delete
  2. Your chairs turned out so nice, Cecelia! Love that they don't match. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun style, I think. They were all cheap finds. I think I paid $8 for the most expensive one. All the rest were $4 or $5. Perfect!

      Delete
  3. The chairs look great! I am patiently waiting to find a couple more for my dining room and then I'm going to paint them all. I wanted mismatched chairs...I love the look! I can't wait to see what you do with your porch. We are starting ours in the next week or so!!! So excited...I've been wanting a big porch for years. Have fun at your painting parties! You'll do an awesome job.

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your chairs when you get them, Vicky! Isn't it a fun look?
      Don't get to excited about the porch - it's mostly paint and rearranging. Someday I hope to really redo it with new roof and all but this is purely cosmetic. :o) Looking forward to reading along as you start yours.

      hugs

      Delete
  4. They look great, the detail on the sculpted back one is so enhanced. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Isn't it amazing how the paint and wax pulled out the details? I love it too.

      Delete
  5. Mis-matched chairs are the perfect casual, farmhouse look, and you really did a great job with the paint and the final detail of waxing!

    Enjoy your weekend Cecilia!

    xxz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doreen. I could never get away with this at our city home. This one lets my creativity out of the bag, all of the way. Poor Bruce but he's a good sport and usually likes what I do. :-)

      Delete
  6. Love it! The detail on the chairs is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They turned out better than I imagined.

      Delete
  7. They look great! You did a fabulous job! I love the mismatched look!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job on your chairs, Cecilia! Isn't it a wonder what a little paint can do? Hugs, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You chairs are beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/the-sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty_21.html Hope to see you tomorrow for Make it Pretty Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cecilia! The Weekly Feature Series is live on the blog which you are apart of. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series_26.html Have a lovely weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...