Thursday, September 4, 2014

Guest Room Bedside Table

I've been on the lookout for a taller table to use in the guest room. I had this drop-leaf one but it was too short for the bed and guests had to really reach down:

Nothing I found worked - they were all too short and too expensive - then I came across this one at GW:

It was the perfect height but missing its drawer and was very scratched up. But, it was sturdy and only $7! Of course I snatched it up and brought it home.

I filled in the cracks and holes, primed it inside and out with Zinsser primer, then decided to add a small hole to the back for a charger cord. I knew I wanted the table to go with all my mom's furniture in the room, so I started by painting the inside Palladian Blue (Benjamin Moore):


For the outside, I choose Old Masters Silver paint finishing with clear and dark wax. Oh so pretty!



It is a much better height for the bed:

The old drawer opening works really well for a charging cord:

Much better and I love the silver color!

My twin sister got to try it out when she came up to go to Canton this past weekend. She said it is way better!

Just goes to show if you are patient enough you can find the perfect solution and for a good price!

I am sharing here:
The Dedicated House Before-and-After Wednesday

16 comments:

  1. It turned out so great Cecilia! I really like the touch of blue too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! You inspired me to paint something silver! I do like the Old Masters Paint. As for the blue, it just seemed like the right thing to do. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the silver. Very nice, I have never made it to Canton, but hope to soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Susan. So nice to have you stop in. If you get the chance, go to my "The Farmhouse" page. You can see the before and afters. We didn't change a lot of things but it was a lot of work. Looking forward to following your journey.

      Delete
  3. Love the silver! I am really into metallics in home decor lately! Sweet deal too...:) Love the blingy charger cord too...I need one of those...:) Have a lovely weekend!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, I am loving silver. I especially like mercury glass - it will start popping up in my decor soon. Lol, I was wondering if anyone would notice the cord with bling! ;) I found it at Walmart.
      :o)
      Cecilia

      Delete
  4. Lovely color... and can't beat that price with a stick!
    Cute idea for the charger... you're on a roll with this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Don't you just love a good bargain?! It has worked out perfectly; I am so pleased with it. Thanks!
      Hugs

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about the original table being too short. Another pet peeve of mine are lamps that are too short to be functional. Seems that's the norm and I do to get it!

    I love the bling on the chargers! I did a double take because I've never seen that before, where have I been!? lol

    Once I used silver leaf on a table and it looked beautiful, but was oh-so-much work! Looks fabulous Cecilia, and more importantly, a lot more functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had never seen a charger with bling either then when I was in Walmart to pick one up, there they were. I thought it went well with the silver table. ;)
      I've never tried using silver or gold leaf...I'm so happy the paint looks like I wanted!

      Delete
  6. I love the way your repurpose something that so many would just walk away from. Love the color choice and little peak of the Tiffany blue from inside the drawer opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to see if something works even if it's not perfect. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. This one I could. :) glad you like it.

      Delete
  7. Great idea with the cord, I should do that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a moment of inspiration! Fortunately the back was easy to cut into. Nice because the cord is hidden.

      Delete
  8. I love how you finished the table...gorgeous color/finish and what a great idea to add the charging station!!!..Great job and super creative!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...