Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Flowerbed, Finished Bench, and a Pet Portrait

We spent Memorial Day weekend at the farm...it's always nice to have a long weekend. Again we had near perfect weather and we got to enjoy it in our peaceful and beautiful surroundings.

Before I go on, I'd like to take a moment to remember all who have served or are serving our nation to ensure our freedom. We are grateful for your service and sacrifice. So a huge "Thank you"!

I brought a few plants up to put in the flowerbeds. I cleaned out an area by the front door (the liriope/ monkey grass had completely taken over) and planted my oak leaf hydrangea my MIL gave me, plus some Salvia too.


 These concrete edger pieces have been sitting by the front door since we bought the place. I finally found the perfect use for them!


So much better!

And some of the plants I planted last time are actually starting to bloom!
The Black and Blue Sage:

The Little Buckaroo rosebush:
Everything is doing really well. I'm so excited to have lots of places to garden in.

I also finished my bench! Here's what it looked liked before I started work on it:

I shared last time how we took it apart started work on it. It was ready this weekend to paint! I put two coats of paint on the slats, let them dry, and then Bruce helped me put it back together. It's the perfect accent for the front porch and it's a great spot to relax with a glass of iced tea and favorite magazine or book. Won't you join me?


I love the turquoise color!

 We went over to our neighbor's vineyard Saturday night as he was hosting a Humane Society fund raiser. They had "Wall Work by Judy" there doing a "Paint Your Pet" party. We brought a photo of a pet in and she showed us how to paint a colorful pet portrait. I had a good headshot of Buddy so I painted him. It's different from the way I normally paint but quite fun to do. I have to admit, I'm very happy with my painting!
It looks really good on the mantel. I need to do one of Herbie too so I have a painting of both of them.


I also refreshed my chalkboard art:



My long chalkboard canvas is perfect for hiding the fireplace surround where the paint has worn off and looks yucky. :o)

The dewberries are still plentiful...I picked enough for two more pies. The vines behind the barn are full but not yet ripe - it's a good crop this year! And the blueberries are doing great too, I'm happy to report. We should be picking those in a few weeks.

It was so wonderful to have an extra day there. We had such a good time with friends and working/relaxing on the farm. It was a great kickoff for Summer.

Until the next time,

Cecilia

I am linking up at these parties!
Fluster Creative Muster-linky-party-73
Lavender Garden Cottage:Cottage-Style-Party
Cozy Little House Tweak-it-tuesday-91
Revisionary Life Thrifty-life-thursday-20




20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful weekend! You got a LOT done!!! That portrait is amazing. I didn't think it would look like it does from a distance. It is really quite amazing. I love the graphic quality of it.

    I have never had dewberries but they sound good in a pie! Hope you have a great night and week- xo Diana ps. LOVE that turquoise bench, too...you are right- the perfect spot to sit a spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, the dewberries are very similar to blackberries only smaller. I'm wanting some thornless blackberries; those dewberries are very prickly!
      It really is a cool way to paint. They were all different but all cool!
      The bench may be my new favorite spot to sit...I can see the sunrise from that spot.
      hugs,
      Cecilia

      Delete
  2. Cecilia, I think you outdid yourself with that painting, and that's saying a lot! It's very Andy Warholish :).

    I know what you mean about having that extra day. It used to feel really good when we had it..now we have all the days we want!

    The color of the bench is gorgeous! You got a lot done but still found time to relax and have fun. That's the best kind of weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen! I am counting the days before we officially move- trying not to miss the time left here as well. It's hard, I am so torn with wanting to be there all the time!
      I love my painting...it was fun and fast! :) loving that turquoise color on my bench too and hoping the deer leave my plants alone ( so far they gave plenty to eat!).

      Delete
  3. Love the color of your bench - perfect and your painting of Buddy is amazing! Don't you wish now that the canvas was bigger! Well, more times to try again, you have talent dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vel,
      It would be really cool to have a canvas long enough that both pups fit on it! Like you said, more reason to paint again! :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE that turquoise color too. Looks great! And you definitely need to do Herbie too.
    I know you are enjoying all the garden glory. The berries sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Next time I make a pie, y'all are invited!

      Delete
  5. I love the color of your bench! So many wonderful blossoms on your farm! I can imagine that glass of iced tea while sitting on the bench and gazing out at your farm - so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Karen! I'd live to sit and have a chat. :)

      Delete
    2. *love. Lol, I always seem to hit the "i" instead of the "o".

      Delete
  6. Hmmm...where to begin! First, the flower beds are looking great. I love the bench on the porch and was wondering if the ceiling of the porch is painted blue...it looks like it in the picture. If so, I love it! My favortite is the painting of Buddy! I am seriously envious of your talent. I would love to paint Sadie like that...or any way at all for that matter. Unfortunately stick dogs aren't as cute as stick people...lol! Have a great Thursday.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky. Yes, the porch ceiling is blue. Similar color but different. The bench is true turquoise and the ceiling sky or something like that. So, you could of done A painting like this???we had to email the photo to Judy and she then traced the outline so we could just start painting. Everyone's turned our pretty good although some just couldn't bring themselves to use unnatural colors. Lol. And I don't know...stick dogs are pretty doggone cute. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh that painting is just fabulous Cecilia - would love to have one of Soda like that!
    And your bench matches a couple of chairs I just painted - so you have to give it to me now lol
    ( it's beautiful !!! )
    You're so blessed to have a country place to escape to !
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, yes it does match. I'm thinking I need your chairs. :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, it's off to Target then! :)

      Delete
  8. FUN painting, and your bench adds a pop of great color. Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Revi! It was fun to paint with bold colors instead of being realistic like I normally paint. Doing his brother next. And I love the turquoise color of the bench on the front porch-it's perfect (glad you like it too!).

      Delete
  9. How great to have a farm getaway. I love what you did with the bench. It adds such a pop of color to your porch. So cheerful!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! We enjoy our farm as often as we can...it is wonderful! Thanks for stopping by.
      Cecilia

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...