Monday, March 24, 2014

Family Treasures in the Kitchen

When we were in Canton, I almost bought a scale...my sister stopped me saying, "I have the old scale and I'm not using it. Do you want it?" OH YES, please!


Don't you just love the rustiness? Sigh. :o)

Then there was the old Pepper Mill - she offered that to me also. Of course, I said yes!


I think the red paint had been refreshed at one time but I love its patina! The old wood handle looks like a critter chewed on it. ha.

I had so much fun staging the kitchen with these two items.

First, the scale. I added a blue earthenware bowl that had been my mom's:

Such a sweet, little bowl...


My white chicken pitcher with the polka dots had to get in on the action:


I love the contrast of the white, shiny glaze with the old rusty scale.

I set the pepper mill next to the stove:


moved the cookbooks between it and the wine rack. I love my olive oil bottle with its chicken.  Then there's my rooster bucket...it holds our snacks. (ok, I may have a chicken obsession!) They are both Frenchie. ooo la la!

I was also baking a loaf of French bread for lunch. I placed it in an old wooden bowl I got from my mother-in-law to cool.



Yum, yum...I made a yummy sub sandwich.

Lots of fresh flavors and so easy to make! But I digress...

I moved my coffee cup lamp ( you can find how we made it here ) to the end of the bar.

Not sure if that's where it will stay, but for now I'm liking it here.

I love having old family treasures to display and mix in with the new. They add so much character to a space.



What old family treasures do you have and use?

Have a fantastic week!
Hugs,
Cecilia

Linking up here:
The Dedicated House Make-it-pretty-monday-week-94
Kathe With An E - Youre-gonna-love-it-tuesday_24
Coastal Charm Nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no205
Revisionary Life Thrifty-life-Thursday-12
Lavender Garden Cottage Cottage-Style-Party
Fluster Buster Flusters-creativemuster-linky-party-64
Jann Olson Share Your Cup Thursday-96

18 comments:

  1. Sweet sister! That grinder and scale are both great. :) I'd LOVE to go to Canton sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is! :)
      Oh my goodness, you need to go. It is amazing, overwhelming (so much stuff!), and wonderful! Are you close? My farm is only 50 minutes away...my husband said I'd become the Canton tour guide as my family is always asking me to take them. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Everything goes together perfectly! I love the patina on the scale and grinder - they have the perfect farmhouse vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Karen! They are perfect for the farmhouse...glad my sister thought so too! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your family treasures! The scale and grinder are great but the little blue bowl is my favorite...love the color! Your vignettes look fabulous and so does that sub sandwich...yum! I love fresh bread and never make it...maybe I will do that on my spring break this week! Have a blessed and beautiful week...Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have two of those bowls, Vicky. You know my mom's favorite color was blue so most of her things were blue! They are just so special to me. I'll let you in on a secret - the bread is Pillsbury's Simply Rustic French Bread...easy! :D
      I'm trying to take better pictures...such a learning process! Working on blurring out the backgrounds...next up is to get a tripod so the photos are sharper.
      Enjoy your Spring Break!
      Hugs,
      Cecilia

      Delete
  4. Love your scale and pepper mill that your sister gave to you...sisters are great...I love the color of the mill...I do not have many family treasures...lots of my mother's things were "lost" when they moved from base to base...I do treasure a handmade shoe shine kit that my dad made when he was 12 years old...That sandwich looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I have the best sisters! I am so blessed to have had a mom who loved the old family things and tried to save them - we each have things with history attached to them. ..I bet you do treasure your dad's kit! That is so sweet!
      Yes, the sandwich was good! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm with Vicky above - the blue bowl is wonderful. I have my two grandmothers' scales and my great grandmother's. They are true treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Donna! I love those blue bowls too...my oldest brother had them and when he passed away last year, I took them to enjoy. My mom would be thrilled we are keeping the family things. I love things with history!

      Delete
  6. Cecilia, I love old scales and that is a beaut! Patina just makes everything fabulous, doesn't it? The grinder is wonderful as well. Great job on how you displayed them. I hopped over from Revi's party. I have a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It's about sharing the things that make you happy. Would love if you shared this! I don't know what's going on with Google lately. It's not letting me follow anyone lately. Every time I try it says page can't be found.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jann! Yes, patina does!! I'd love to share at your party - thanks for the invite! hmm, not sure about Google - that's very odd. Thanks for stopping by!
      :o)
      Cecilia

      Delete
  7. I love how you have arranged everything. Your kitchen seems like a very warm and welcoming spot. What a generous sister - lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! I'm so glad you dropped in. Thank you for your lovely comments.

      My family made a pact when our mom died to always check with each other when we wanted to get rid of something to see if someone else in the family wanted it. It works out great.

      Hugs,
      Cecilia

      Delete
  8. I just love the old things. I collect old things for my kitchen too. Makes it so homey and special. Reminders of times past with my Grandma and so on
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it for the history too. Thanks so much for stopping by, Janice!

      Delete
  9. Google now working. Yeah! Wanted to hop over and say thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Glad to have you stop by. And I always love a good party! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...