Thursday, July 26, 2012

B Farm projects

I have been busy working on projects for the farmhouse. Every time we go up there, I have new things to add to my list of things to make. It gives me a connection until I can get back up there again. So first on the list, a mat for in front of the kitchen sink. I wanted my own design - found a tutorial from Roeshel - DIY Show Off blog.You can find it at: painted mat.  I love her blog; it's so inspiring! Anyway, here's my version of the painted mat:




Next up, I made a wreath holder. You've probably seen the ones you can buy that are metal and have a hook to hold the wreath. Well, I had this spindle forever it seems, just waiting for the right project. One end already had a notch cut into it, perfect for hanging a wreath from. I put a fresh coat of white paint on it, distressed it some and rubbed a bit of stain into places. 
I had a wooden plaque from way back which I used as the base. Painted it a dark brown from one of my many jars of sample paint, added crackle medium on top of that, then painted white on top of that. I then screwed it together. Voila! a wreath holder! It probably won't hold a big, heavy wreath but that's ok. I think it will hold what I have in mind.

Spindle


sample jar of paint


plaque

before crackling and painting base white
notch in spindle

 I'll show this off in the next post as soon as I find a wreath to hang from it!

Finally, I am working on a napkin holder. I found one at the thrift store for a mere $1.99. I've primed it and cut out new sides for it from birch plywood. Need to paint those and glue them on then I'll have a holder that's my own design. Love having something more unique!
thrift store find

drawn design

cut and drawn design on birch plywood

I'll show the finished napkin holder next time too. Until then enjoy your week!


Linking with: diyshowoff.com

3 comments:

  1. Cecilia! You've been busy and look at all of these cute ideas! Your kitchen mat is super cute and perfect for your farmhouse! (thanks for the shout out). I'm glad it's holding up well! And I can't wait to see more of your napkin holder!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a fun project! Working to finish that holder - hoping to reveal it this week!

      Delete
  2. What cute projects, I love the wreath holder idea! Roeshel's blog is wonderful and I haven't been over there for a while. Thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...