Monday, February 19, 2018

Trash to Canvas Storage Rack

 One of the things I really wanted for the studio was something to store canvases in. Right now, I have them stacked against the wall...not great. I found several inspiration photos on Pinterest.
art room at the city house
This one uses a metal shelving unit...very doable. I knew I could get the shelf unit fairly inexpensively but that meant figuring out how this one was built.
canvas storage
Then inspiration struck! Enter the crib rails a friend gave me before the wedding where I used them to hold directional signs.

I told Bruce, "Hey! How about using the crib pieces for the canvas storage rack? They already have partitions!" He agreed it was a good idea. Then he remembered the half table top our neighbors in the city were going to throw away. (We rescued it out of the trash).
He asked if I thought it was a good idea to use that for the top...all he had to do was build a bottom. Why yes! That's brilliant!

We bought a piece of plywood for the bottom and using leftover boards, Bruce got busy building my storage piece.


Before he nailed in the rails, I painted the bottom and ends. (Hey! It's my first painting in the studio, lol)


And voila! From pieces being tossed out, the perfect canvas storage table! (I actually staged it with canvases before painting it...oops).

It even has locking wheels so I can roll it around if I need to. It going to go next to my lockers as it's low enough to fit under the a/c unit.

I'm so thankful for my husband! He takes my visions and brings them to reality. Thank you, Bruce!

BTW, the other half of the table? I have that too. My neighbor gave that to me before the wedding. It's now my worktable in the studio. Thank you sweet friend!

Linking up at these parties:
Vintage Charm Party

18 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea, Cecilia! I think creative ideas like this are better than anything you could buy! LOVE it! Have a great week-hope you can paint the week away. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, isn't it... we save things just knowing one day we'll need them. It's nice when that day actually comes along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecilia what a beautiful piece you created. I love this. Your hubby is like Terry. They can take our crazy visions and make them work. They are keepers for sure. This is so wonderful and much prettier than a store bought shelf. I love that you rescued the table and then was able to give another life to the crib. Yeah you go girl. Love this and it looks great in the studio. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, ya'll are soooo smart...and talented. I love your new storage rack...perfect to hold canvases and it also is a good looking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have creative vision and a willing hubby. Perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius! That canvas storage rack will serve you well in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will! Everything is coming together...I have one more big project for Bruce to build.

      Delete
  7. Great idea Cecilia. Room to store large paintings too. Anxious to see how pretty your studio is when you get finished and what beautiful paintings you will do. You have some very creative ideas and a wonderful husband to help.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I could use one of those in my kitchen to hold cutting boards and cooking trays! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your smart repurpose at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You truly are so clever! I love a good repurpose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loft Conversions in London - London Elite Trades
    First and foremost, a service provider who's adept in home extension or house renovation is going to have the unique capability to create the very best use of limited space.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...