Friday, February 17, 2017

Creative Friday #3: Bee Stencil On Canvas

Welcome to the third Creative Friday!

We're starting a bee hive this Spring at the farm. Bruce has been reading up on the subject, watching YouTube videos, and talking to friends who own some. We got the hive last year (too late to start a colony) and have the bees on order for April. Yay! I can't wait to harvest our first bit of honey!

In keeping with making our gallery wall, I decided to take a small canvas and make an easy piece of art for it.

I started off with a 5x5" canvas.

Next, I painted it a dark charcoal grey (a great way to use up those sample jars of paint!).

Then cut a stencil using my new Christmas toy (thanks Bruce!)

After the paint dried, I stenciled the design onto the canvas with white paint. Easy-peasy! I like the white pounced over the grey. (Oh if you've never stenciled before, Donna over at Funky Junk Interiors has a great tutorial here).

I'm pretty excited about my little bee art. It was easy and fast and ties in nicely with the farm. Plus, it is my first project using my new Silhouette machine. I think I'm going to really have fun with this thing.

_________________________________________________________________________________
In other news, I've opened a new shop with Society6. This is a site artists can use to upload artwork to sell. Not only as prints and on canvas but also on a variety of products from phone cases, pillows, rugs, mugs, travel cups and more. I have 6 different pieces of art ready to go. I'd love for you to go check it out at https://society6.com/tinroofstudio.

10 comments:

  1. The bee art piece is very nice. A perfect addition for the farm, especially now that your becoming a beekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Cecilia! I've always secretly wanted a Silhouette but honestly I'm a bit afraid of the idea. I usually make my own stencils but obviously the machine does so much more! Can't wait to hear about your bee experience. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen,
      The Silhouette has been a challenge. I'm still haven't figured it out completely but I'm hoping it gets easier with time. Bruce is super excited about the bees. He's really gotten into it. I'll definitely share the experience!

      Delete
  3. Oh! How cute! I love it, Cecilia. You will love having bees. My uncle was a beekeeper and he had hives on his farm and on ours. Ours were next to the clover fields and, to this day, clover honey is my favorite. We always had LOTS of honey as he shared it with us. I am not afraid of bees at all----wasps yes----honey bees and bumble bees---no. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cecilia your own fresh honey will be so great. Good luck with having the bees. Sounds exciting.
    Love your bee canvas art too. Very cute.
    Happy Friday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! You are so talented!!!!!

    And congrats on the new shop!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, KariAnne. I decided art is where my heart truly is...blogging is just my way of sharing. Time to start pushing my (art) snowball. :)

      Delete
  6. Love your enthusiasm and creativity! Being a beekeeper will be an awesome activity.
    Congrats again on your new shop!
    Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us at Brighten this year. We certainly understand that family comes first!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Bee canvas ... and congratulations on shop with Society6. You will have fun with the Silhouette. I have one and used it some at first, but have not had time for it lately. Will have to re-learn it.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sweet bee canvas! Congrats on becoming beekeepers, the bees need our help. Our friends keep bees and got some outrageously good honey.

    Good luck with the art group. Will visit the site. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...