Friday, February 12, 2016

Making a Truck Seat Cover

We have an extended cab pickup truck. It's what we normally drive to the farm in. Bruce and I sit up front and Buddy and Herbie get to ride in the back seat.
Buddy

Herbie

They like having a whole seat to themselves. (Although I'm pretty sure either one of them would happily sit in my lap...all 50+ pounds of them). heh.

We had a moving blanket I attached straps to that we would cover the back seat with but when the dogs were puppies they would chew on it. Over time, it got pretty full of holes. Oh puppies! We finally had to throw it away.

Lately, we've just been throwing a sheet on the seat but that doesn't protect the seat back. The dogs have loads of fun running, swimming in the pond, and digging at the farm so they are often pretty dirty when we load them up to return to the city. (And yes, if they are really nasty, they get a bath before heading back. Often, it's just loads of sand hiding in their coats).

The back seat had thus gotten pretty grungy. I spent a day cleaning it for Bruce then decided I needed to make a new cover. Why make one? First of all, ready made ones are pretty expensive and finding the right size has been difficult. I grabbed my tape measure and notepad and measured the seat.

Then I drew out a diagram of my cuts. It's not pretty or neat but it works for me.

Next,  I headed to the fabric store hoping to find the perfect (and cheap) fabric. Sure enough in the clearance area, I found one for $7/yd. Perfect! Not fuzzy or super soft that might encourage chewing.

I only needed 2 1/2 yards but bought 3 just in case I messed up.  Following my drawing, I cut all my pieces...

Started sewing...I wasn't worried about perfection - I just wanted a pretty good fit.

And almost 4 hours later, I had a seat cover!



It wasn't difficult; just time-consuming as I had to finish all the edges to prevent raveling. Now the seat will stay cleaner and we'll have less cleanup of the truck. I'd say that's a win!

I can't wait for Bruce to see it. :o)

I hope you have a great weekend! Hopefully, you have Monday off and will get to do something fun. Until next time!

Hugs,
Cecilia





15 comments:

  1. Oh, I need to do that as I travel with my cat and have an ugly old towel all over my back seats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Cecilia!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Cecilia!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice ! Good job, Cecilia !! Wonder if the boys will notice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow your blog and hope you see this message. Your dogs are beautiful. We lost our daughter yesterday after a 4 1/2 fight with leukemia and she was hanging on the last few days for what we weren't sure. Her husband and son were able to be allowed to bring their two dogs in to her room and after a couple of hours with them (she was not responsive) she peacefully passed. The power of animals. I just had to share this with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the heartache you must be experiencing. Our pets can be a great source of comfort. I'm glad your daughter was given that last bit of time with her dogs. I'll be praying for you and your family.
      Hugs
      Cecilia

      Delete
  6. Hi Cecilia,
    Wow, you did an amazing job on this!
    I love the material you chose too!
    I love the photo of Buddy and Herbie running through the water! :)
    Have a wonderful Valentines Day! Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberley! I was lucky the bargain fabric looked good too. LOL. It worked well - the boys seemed to like it and it protected the back seat. We had a blast at the farm this past weekend. The boys are tired from all their playing and running. :o)
      Hope you had a wonderful weekend too.

      Delete
  7. You did a fantastic job on the seat cover. Very good idea and will make for easy cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dogs are adorable. I bet your clever seat cover will save you all a lot of aggravation and clean up. sb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. They have personality, plus! It worked great this past weekend....did what it was supposed to do and the dogs were comfy.

      Delete
  9. What an awesome project! I need to make this for my car. :)

    Happy day :)
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karianne! It worked great and didn't cost me a small fortune. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Cecilia, this is such a great idea! your dogs are beautiful too. I know how much you must love them and they are well worth the effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! They are such good boys (well, most of the time, haha). Definitely worth the effort! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...