Thursday, January 2, 2014

Winter Decorating

 We got to spend several days up at the farm from Christmas night to the following Monday.

Peaceful bliss…


We always get the most beautiful sunsets ( sunrises too, if I get up early enough to see them - lol )…

The colors deepen as the sun sets further

The pond is still full but the leaves have all fallen off the trees….

which meant we got to rake up leaves :o) but it was good exercise and I got to practice balancing and walking without crutches (still supposed to use them but my therapist suggested I not use them at home). I think she meant inside but I did outside too - carefully.

Inside, I took down all the Christmas decorations but left out wintery stuff. The burlap snowflakes I made for the tree ( see here ) got repurposed for the mantel - I made two more slightly larger ones for the end:




Cozy fire…so enjoyed the fire the entire time we were there!
( Notice the smudging on the fireplace? I'm not sure what the previous owners used on it but I can't get it to go away…anybody know anything about fireplace inserts and what I might use to remove that? )

I placed a stack of old books on one side and topped them with this rustic candle holder tin:


On the other end, I left my twine and kitchen string cone trees but added the owl - it's also an ornament but he fit my color scheme:


Of course, the large pinecones, glittery snowflakes, and faux pine branches got to stay. In the middle, I added my paper mache reindeer. I decided to just paint him white and add a touch of silver glitter for now. Someday I might cover him with book pages like the pumpkin I did for Halloween, but now I'm liking his wintery coat:


The entry table also got an overhaul with garland, snowman sign, candles, and silver accents:




My round cutting board now sports a chalk snowflake and a wintery saying:


The side table got my message plate I normally place on the entry table. It too, sports a wintery theme and message:


My snowman bowl I received as part of the ornament exchange sits on the side table too along with one of my concrete birds, a glittery snowflake, and faux pine bough:


It always makes me sad to put away the Christmas things but changing things over to a winter theme helps keep things from feeling bleak.

As for me, I am looking forward to getting off these crutches - hopefully next week. I'm still going to physical therapy but making good progress. I really want to be able to start cleaning up along the driveway and making new flowerbeds, not to mention just being able to walk all around the farm again.

Hope your week is going well,

Cecilia

Linking up at this great party:
Lavender garden cottage.- Cottage-style-party-cottages-in-snow










20 comments:

  1. Your winter decor is stunning Cecilia, very cozy. Happy to hear you are making progress...hope you are able to get out and about soon. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! After all the sparkle and color of Christmas, I have to do something to keep me from feeling all depressed - haha!
      I can almost walk normal - it's the downhill and all that I'm still staying away from.

      Delete
  2. I am loving all your fun winter decor! So cozy...:) I have been trying to add silver and gold around the living room and am having fun decorating. I might just steal a couple ideas from you....:)
    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, can't wait to see what you've done..steal away! :)

      Delete
  3. I almost forgot....I love the header! I see you figured it out....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, hee, yes I did. Like you said very easy! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you're almost back to normal, Cecilia. Your pretty wintry mix décor will surely keep your spirits high! And I love how your burlap snowflakes look on the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! I'm so glad to have learned how to make them - thank you! My big owl sits here where I walk into my bedroom. He's ready to go to the farm I think. :) maybe I'll stick him in a cage and carrying him up next time we go...Makes me smile!

      Delete
  5. I love your rustic winter mantel! It's good to hear that you're getting back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's good to be getting back to normal...almost there!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! I see you're in Texas too ~ great! I'm in the DFW area.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! Yep, I'm a Texas girl through and through! Grew up in Austin and the farm is close to Palestine. No where else quite like it, is there?

      Delete
  7. Ce -- I've always said we have the most beautiful sunsets here in Texas. Although I've seen some doozies in New Mexico! A friend of ours moved to Colorado from Texas many years ago. He always said he missed the sunsets here. He died some years ago, but now whenever we see a sunset he would have loved, we say that he painted it for us. We think of him often when we stop to admire God's beautiful sky paintings. -- I just got some chalkboard paint for Christmas, so I'm on the lookout for a round cutting board like you have above. Would like to do this for my kitchen, too. Thanks for sharing. Practice your walking.

    patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's sweet! What a wonderful way to remember your friend!
      I found my round board at GW...good luck! I've seen a few but I bet they pop up so often. And I'm practicing, I promise!! :)

      Delete
  8. We've had the pleasure of seeing some beautiful sunsets lately. I currently have a picture displayed on my blog ...with a moonrise and a beautiful purple and blue sky!
    That night I could turn- panning around our property seeing the moon-rise in front of me, the Evening star Venus in the Southwest sky...and the orange glow of the sun setting directly behind me...and to the right of that the North sky-- a beautiful periwinkle blue as if something very cold was coming!
    It was gorgeous--
    I like your winter decor-- and your mantle. Not sure what is on you fireplace surround. Are you sure it's not some type of mineral spirits or stove black?
    We repainted our wood stove with stove black one year and it had some variation in the color for a while.
    --- Happy New Year to you,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your beautiful picture, Pat! And the description of the rest of the sky left me breathless! Wow.
      I don't know what that is on the fireplace...I am going to try a couple of different things and hope it works! Thanks for stopping by!
      Hugs,
      Cecilia

      Delete
  9. Sunsets are my favorite time of day. How nice you got to spend a few days at the farm. It's a great way to finish out the year.

    Not sure what that is on the fireplace either. Maybe try some alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Doreen...it's worth a try. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can cover it up somehow.

      Mine too - something about the end of the day. :)

      Delete
  10. I love seeing everyone's winter decor…I am still dealing with putting away my Christmas decor!..Love your mantel and pretty chalkboard art….I wonder if the previous owners used a chemical and it took the finish off the metal…they have paint that they use on fireplace surrounds…repainting may be the only solution…Hope you are up and walking soon on your own!!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have too much Christmas decor out this year so it was easy to put away...kind of sad but kind of not - lol. That was what I was thinking, Shirley. Guess I need to go to a fireplace store and see what they recommend. Ugh, not looking forward to having to paint it but it's about to drive me crazy.
      As of today, I am crutches free for a week. I get around pretty good although I still have a limp. Working hard on strengthening all those muscles so I'm not. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...